Steven W Ongert
Mr. Ongert joined the firm of Dean & Ongert, P.C. in 1991 as its managing partner. He has been a regular and constant fixture in the family courts in Harris and Galveston Counties, handing hundreds of contested family law cases. Mr. Ongert has extensive background in business and corporate matters, making him a valuable contributor in family law property cases, whether as lead counsel or as a mediator.
Mr. Ongert has a keen awareness of the adverse impact that divorce and custody can have on children and the family members. Although he works hard to represent his clients interests, he does it with integrity and helps his clients maintain focus on achieving informed solutions for the present and future, while minimizing the pain and conflicts of the past.
Mr. Ongert has served as a mediator in Galveston, Brazoria, and Harris Counties since 1992. His mediation style is creative and insightful, helping litigants fashion solutions to what otherwise would seem to be insurmountable obstacles. He mediates family law matters, personal injury cases, civil disputes, contract disputes, and claims brought in the J.P. courts.
Mr. Ongert served in the United States Air Force during the Viet Nam conflict, and he was honorably discharged in 1969.
Mr. Ongert enjoys playing golf. Other leisure activities include fishing and boating, as well as reading and collecting of antique fishing tackle.
- Texas, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1990
- Michigan, 2012
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas
- J.D. - 1988
- Honors: Dean's List
- Hastings College, Hastings, Nebraska
- B.A. summa cum laude - 1972
- Honors: With High Distinction
- Major: Business Administration
- University of Houston, Clear Lake: Mediation - 1992
- Settlement Consultants International, Inc., Family Mediation - 1992
Honors and Awards
- Graduated with high distinction in Business Administration from Hastings College, Hastings, Nebraska
- Dean's List at South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas
- American Jurisprudence Award in Advanced Marital Property, South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Texas Family Law Section, 1989 - Present
- State Bar of Texas, Family Law Section
- Houston Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Galveston County Bar Association
- Galveston County Family Law Bar Association, President, 1993 - 1994
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Fellow